Paula | Coles, Haiti- BAG IT UP!

By | 11:45 PM Leave a Comment

Femmes Creation & Production at Karibe 

Photo credit: Richarson Dorvil

One of the first things that caught my eye when I arrived at Karibe Convention Center for Femmes Creation & Production, were these beautiful bags by Paula Coles.  The bags came in solid bold colors that popped right off of the display.  I immediately wanted one of each style.  From the ruffled clutch to the Ipad case. 

And when I found out that they were made of 100% recycled fabric scraps from t-shirts manufactured in Haitian factories.  I was even more impressed.




I immediately asked the a pretty young sister managing the booth how much, how many, and where can I pay???  She smiled and told me that the answers to all my questions could be answered by following the link to the website of Urban Zen, the brainchild of designer and the lover of Haitian artisan, Ms. Donna Karan. 

I explained that this was all well and good, but I was at the event now and ready to buy.  I quickly became fully aware that this was not going to happen.  How could this be??!! I am in Haiti, trying to purchase an item made in Haiti and I have to go to Donna Karan's website. Mwen Pa Konprann!  




Now I won't speak ill of Donna Karan as I don't have all the information, YET, but I do wonder how this exclusivity effects the Haitian artisan   
Unable to get this out of my mind I start looking into the bags.  I learned that a purchase of any item from Paul | Coles, Haiti directly pays for one of the annual tuition fees (classes, uniform, books, school supplies and computer classes) for one (1) child! The cost per child, per expense, is predetermined by PRODEV, an non-profit organization that Coles works with.   

PRODEV's École Nouvelle Zoranje 

So for now, I will keep my political opinion to myself, but if I can own a beautiful Haitian made piece while allowing a Haitian child to go to school, then as far as I can see it, it's a win/win.






“After the earthquake, I felt the need to do more- I was already helping an orphanage and felt that more was to be done, the condition of many people had worsened,  thus I looked for a project through which I could collect funds to send some kids to school”. That’s how it all started. (source)


For more info on Paul | Coles, Haiti: 

To see the catalogue of Hatian Artisans involved with Urban Zen see:

Check out this video shot by David Belle: Haitian Atisan with Donna Karan http://vimeo.com/24970779 

HM 



** TO FOLLOW BLOG, PLEASE GO ALL THE WAY OVER TO THE FAR RIGHT AND A DROP DOWN MENU WILL APPEAR...WELCOME!

ALSO AT: 





0 comments:

Post a Comment