An offer I couldn't refuse

By | 1:47 PM Leave a Comment
I was approached by a woman who recently moved back to Haiti, a little overwhelmed, but hopeful. The woman and I began chatting about our experiences as Haitian-Americans and the cultural shock or alienation that sometimes occurs in Haiti.  It seemed as if we had a lot in common, but not only that, we both had gifts or talents that the other needed.  She said to me, "What do you think if we agreed to a little barter?"  She began to explain, but of course I had heard of bartering before. 


     
Barter is a system of exchange by which goods or services are directly exchanged for other goods or services without using a medium of exchange, such as money.[1]

Bartering is something that has been done since the beginning of time, but in the tough economic times all over the world, bartering is making a come back. The offer was one that I couldn't refuse, and we immediately sealed the deal with a handshake.  


I read a recent Essence article on a Brooklyn-based women's group called Black Women's Blueprint who have adopted the concept among their 200 members.  Farah Tanis, Co-founder of the group says that their core principal is "Your struggle, is my struggle."  An interesting way to look at the current state of affairs.   

I'm sure a lot of people are saying, "show me the money", but sometimes what comes out of these agreements is better than what money can buy. Since, the woman has become a client of my branding company H. Mystique Inc., and has bought me two other clients and her brand has grown 25% in just two weeks.  It's a win win!


I think bartering is making a necessary, but chic comeback.  Do you think it will catch on?


By MYSTIQUE 

ALSO AT: 




0 comments:

Post a Comment