Carnaval des Fleurs 2014 SE LA POUW LA

By | 8:52 AM Leave a Comment

The 3rd edition of Carnaval Des Fleur 2014 in Port-Au-Prince was held the 27, 28, and 29th of July.  But even before that, the weeks leading up to it, were full of parties, fashion shows,and lots of other pre-naval activities. This year's theme was "Se La Pouw La" "You have to be there"

Being born and raised in New York, I often enjoyed traveling to Haiti just for carnival.  It was a time of fun, letting go, catching up with friends, and definitely getting some R&R beach-time.  Having lived in Haiti for almost a decade now, carnival has another feel to it now.  I now wonder the necessity and the effects of having carnival twice a year, in a country still recovering from the repercussions of the 2010 earthquake. Where is the money coming from? Who is it really benefiting? It is said that, 80% of the funds for organizing the event were provided by the private sector and 20% by the Haitian government.  The budget for Carnival 2013 was 97 thousand Haitian gourdes (approximately $2138.674USD).*

This year I thought about sitting carnival out. Indeed I did, for the most part, I spent some time out of the city and all the bashment and enjoyed one of Haiti's treasure, the beautiful pristine and peaceful ocean.  

Having a group of friends come in for carnival, I allowed myself to be talked into going on the third and final day. The National Police announce that they would be mobilizing 5000 officers to assure crowd security during the event.*  The crowds have grown so much, that this year I decided not to chance it, but to stay in the stands. I indeed had a good time, as I always do with my friends.  The music was good and loud, the bands colorful and entertaining, but I had been here before.  It was the same old carnival I had just assisted 5 months before in Gionaves.

That last day, we stayed out on Champs Mars to see the last float go by and to watch the sun rise. It was amazing, but I think, my last time at this rode.   


















Carnaval des Fleurs (VIDEO)

                                           

                                           

All pics by: H Mystique Inc. 
*Reference
Haiti Press Network
Signal FM

By MYSTIQUE 

ALSO AT: 

0 comments:

Post a Comment